How to apply?
The Hansard Scholars Programme is highly competitive and so it
is crucial that you provide us with as much positive
information about your interests and experience as possible to support
The Programme assumes no previous knowledge of British politics or
any experience of political internships. More important is that
applicants show a genuine interest in politics and public policy, and a
commitment to studying in a high level political environment. Scholars’
work will often be of a sensitive nature and so personal integrity – in
addition to commitment and enthusiasm – are crucial.
All applicants must complete an application form (see below) and attach the following pieces of documentation:
Download the Hansard Scholars Programme Application Form
- Short personal statement outlining reasons for applying
- CV / Résumé. This must also be submitted by e-mail
- Sample of written academic work (2,000 words approx.)
- Two letters of recommendation*
- Copies of your university and high-school transcripts**
- Photocopy of your passport's photo ID page
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to
provide evidence of proficiency in the English language. The following
qualifications are acceptable to the Hansard Society:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with normally a
minimum score of 603 in the paper test, 250 in the computer-based test
or 100 in the internet based test.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with normally a minimum score of 6.5.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Other qualifications may be considered.
Applications should emailed to:
Required hard-copy documents should be posted to:
Hansard Scholars Programme
* Letters of recommendation sent via email must come directly from the email address of your referee.
5th Floor, 9 King Street
London EC2V 8EA
** An official hard copy of your university transcript must be sent via post to the above address in addition to your scanned electronic copy. Only a scanned copy of your high-school transcript sent via email is required.
For further details, please contact the Study & Scholars Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +44 207 710 6070.