We are currently accepting applications for the following programmes:
Summer 2014 Hansard Scholars Programme (undergraduates)
24 May – 19 July 2014 (8 weeks)
Cost: £5750. (GBP)
Application deadline: 15 April 2014
Autumn 2014 Hansard Scholars Programme (undergraduates)
6 September – 13 December 2014 (14 weeks)
Cost: £9950. (GBP)
Application deadline: 13 June 2014
Spring 2015 Hansard Scholars Programme (undergraduates)
17 January – 25 April 2015
Application deadline: 15 November 2014
(N.B. The Hansard Society no longer offers a postgraduate programme.)
Applications for future programmes will open in due course. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
How to apply
The Hansard Scholars Programme is highly competitive and so it is crucial that you provide us with as much positive information about your interests and experience as possible to support your application.
The Programme assumes no previous knowledge of British politics or any experience of political internships. More important is that applicants show a genuine interest in politics and public policy, and a commitment to studying in a high level political environment. Scholars’ work will often be of a sensitive nature and so personal integrity – in addition to commitment and enthusiasm – are crucial.
All applicants must complete an application form (see below) and attach the following pieces of documentation:
- Personal statement outlining your reasons for applying (approx. 250 – 500 words)
- Curriculum Vitae/ Résumé
- Sample of written academic work (approx. 2,000 words)
- Scanned copy of the ID page of your current valid passport.
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one academic)
- Scanned copy of your university transcript (N.B. a hard copy should also be posted to the below address)
- [Applicants from non-English speaking countries only] Scanned copy of your TOEFL/ IELTS certificate (N.B. a hard copy should also be posted to the below address)
- Official documentation of your high-school enrollment. This should be in the form of a scanned copy of your high-school transcript or an official letter verifying during which you were enrolled at your high-school, including the full address of your high-school.*
* N.B. This document is used purely for security purposes as a requirement of the security clearance process administered by the UK Parliament. No academic information contained in this document will affect your application.
Complete our application form online here:
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language. The following qualifications are acceptable to the Hansard Society:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with normally a minimum score of 603 in the paper test, 250 in the computer-based test or 100 in the internet based test.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with normally a minimum score of 6.5.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Other qualifications may be considered.
Application materials should be emailed to:
Required hard-copy documents should be posted to:
Hansard Scholars Programme
5th Floor, 9 King Street
London EC2V 8EA
* Letters of recommendation sent via email must come directly from the email address of your referee.
** An official hard copy of your university transcript must be sent via post to the above address in addition to your scanned electronic copy. Only a scanned copy of your high-school transcript sent via email is required.
For further details, please contact the Study & Scholars Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +44 207 710 6070.