Listen to the event in full
Clerk of the Journals, House of Commons
Seema Malhotra MP
Member for Feltham and Heston
Professor the Lord Norton of Louth
Member of the House of Lords Constitution Committee and Professor of Government and Director of the Centre for Legislative Studies, University of Hull
At this event, involving leading parliamentary and constitutional experts, we will be debating the key questions now facing Parliament over the next few years:
- What reforms – in the Chamber and Committees – might be needed to ensure the scrutiny process is fit for purpose to deal with the scale of the challenge ahead?
- Should there be a move towards greater joint working with the House of Lords? What are the pros and cons of this approach?
- Do we need a super-committee, for example modelled on the Banking Commission inquiry?
- Given the volume of legislation and regulation that will need to be sorted out, how might this be done most effectively?
- Does Parliament have sufficient capacity and expertise to support MPs and Peers and if not, what might be needed?