On 2 November, the Society launched its Delegated Legislation Review to an audience of MPs, Peers and constitutional experts. The event – which included two panel discussions with Members from across the political spectrum and a keynote address by Steve Baker MP – unpacked the problems with the delegated legislation system and explored avenues for reform.
The Hansard Society Delegated Legislation Review has been made possible with funding support generously provided by The Legal Education Foundation.
Panel One: Reflections on current scrutiny procedures
- Speakers: Thangam Debbonaire MP, Patrick Grady MP and Mark Harper MP
- Chair: Dr Ruth Fox, Director, Hansard Society
Panel Two: The case for reform
- The Hansard Society Delegated Legislation Review: presentation by Dr Ruth Fox, Director, Hansard Society, and Dr Tom West, Delegated Legislation Review Manager, Hansard Society
- Keynote address: Steve Baker MP – read the address here
- Respondents: Dame Angela Eagle MP and The Rt Hon the Lord Judge
- Chair: Murray Hunt, Director of the Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law
Enjoy reading this? Please consider sharing it
Delegated legislation may not be glamorous but it is essential to how our democracy works. Time to treat it accordingly.
The launch event for our Delegated Legislation Review raised a number of challenging constitutional and practical issues to be explored further during the Review process. The vivid discussions also confirmed the existence of both heightened interest in delegated legislation and a large degree of cross-party consensus on the need for reform.
Our explanations of key terms to help you understand the delegated legislation system at Westminster and the debate about its reform
There are problems with both the delegation of powers to make delegated legislation and the scrutiny of the Statutory Instruments (SIs) that arise from those powers. This report sets out some of the central problems that need to be resolved with respect to each of these two aspects of the system.
The full text of the keynote address given by Steve Baker MP at the launch of the Hansard Society Delegated Legislation Review, 2 November 2021.
The Hansard Society has long argued that the system of delegated legislation is not fit for purpose. This leaflet explains our Delegated Legislation Review.